Stone Soup is the literary magazine, website, and publisher of work 100% written and illustrated by kids through age 13. Founded in 1973, Stone Soup has been inspiring children to read, write and create their own artworks for publication in our magazine, on our blogs, and in our growing series of books by young authors for nearly half a century!
At this time, we are looking to hire a Typesetter. This is a part time, remote contractor position. We expect weekly hours to hover around 8-12 for the first couple of issues, during the training and orientation period, then fall down to 5-8 hours per issue. The ideal candidate is able to start as soon as possible, or by October 15, and can make a commitment of at least one year.
This is an entry-level position and a wonderful opportunity for a college or graduate student who is interested in book design and publishing.
This candidate will be expected to:
- Typeset 11 magazine issues of 48 pages each, including setting text and images and laying out covers, whilst adhering to a strict page limit
- Typeset 2-3 books (at least one novel and one book of poetry), including covers, a year
- Work closely with the Editor and Production Coordinator to implement text edits and layout changes
- Develop typographic solutions in the face of design setbacks
- Make any requested changes within 24-48 business hours of receipt
- Strong typographical knowledge, with a proficient understanding of book design and layout for both prose and poetry
- Consistent ability to communicate, time-manage, and prioritize a multitude of tasks and projects
- 1 year experience in typesetting
- Ability to work quickly/efficiently in InDesign
- An organized and flexible approach to work with a desire to work collaboratively
- Familiarity with PDF workflow, pre-press production, and remote programs (Zoom, Google Suite, Dropbox) is preferred
- Portfolio link or PDF must be submitted with cover letter
The rate is $20/hour. Please email a resume, portfolio, and a cover letter to email@example.com by 11:59 pm on September 30, 2022.